Bandimere Speedway has compiled a number of frequently asked questions and answers to help you better understand the rules, safety and technical guidelines of drag racing and increase your enjoyment at our facility. If the following still doesn't answer your questions please contact Kevin Rowe via this link to email.

Does Bandimere Speedway make the safety rules?

The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) establishes rules for every type of vehicle that can run down the quarter-mile. All NHRA member tracks must follow these safety guidelines. Each year, a new NHRA Rulebook is published with revisions and updates. Rulebooks are available at the track for $10, and are highly recommended for anyone who is interested in participating more frequently or building a car. 

I have a street car. What do I need to come out and test or race?

The basic items needed to pass tech inspection for the typical street car include good tires, a battery tie-down, radiator overflow catch-can, operable neutral-safety switch, seat belts, and a valid state driver's license or NHRA competition license is required for all participants. Don't forget to wear long pants, shoes, and a shirt! 

What do I need to race my street bike?

Again, a valid state driver's license or NHRA competition license is required. NHRA approved helmet, denim or heavier pants, a leather jacket, leather gloves, and leather shoes that rise above the ankle. If the bike runs quicker than 10.99 or faster than 120 mph, additional requirements apply. 

Do I need a helmet?

A helmet is one of the first safety items that you may need to purchase. Any vehicle that runs faster than 13.99 seconds, and all motorcycles and dune buggy-type cars, must have an approved helmet. Helmets must have a SNELL rating of 2010 or 2015, as well as those with an SFI rating of 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A. (SNELL 2005 helmets expired on 1/1/2017 and SNELL 2010 helmets expire on 1/1/2022). 

How do I know if my helmet is expired?

If you pull back the padding and material on the inside of your helmet, there should be a sticker on the inside with a date on it. Typically the sticker is an orange, yellow, or brown color. The sticker is placed in different places such as the back or on either side depending on the brand. If your helmet has a sticker that says M2000, M2005, SA2000, or SA2005 your helmet is expired and will NOT pass tech. Helmets are available to rent at the Coors Light Tech Building should a racer need to borrow one for an event. (SNELL 2005 helmets expire on 1/1/2017 and SNELL 2010 helmets expire on 1/1/2022). If your helmet says DOT, this does not mean anything and will NOT pass tech.

Can I use nitrous oxide?

NHRA allows the use of nitrous oxide in bracket classes. Check the track's specific class rules to be certain, but in most cases you can use nitrous. Nitrous bottles must be vented to outside the driver compartment if it is mounted in the same compartment as the driver. All bottles must be stamped with a DOT - 1800 pound rating. 

What are some of the major safety items I will need as I go quicker?

The following is a list of major items that are required at specific ET's and speeds. This list is a guideline, and we recommend consulting a current NHRA rulebook for specific details, specifications, and diagrams. 

13.99 seconds (8.59 1/8th) 

  • Drive Line Loop with slicks
  • Approved helmet (Full face in open cars)
  • SFI 3.2A/1 Jacket in vehicles equipped with non-OEM nitrous oxide, turbochargers or superchargers

13.49 seconds (8.25 1/8th) 

  • Roll bar in convertibles
  • SFI seat belts in convertibles

11.99 seconds (7.49 1/8th) 

  • Steel Valve Stems
  • Arm Restraints (open cars)

11.49 seconds (7.35 1/8th) 

  • SFI 1.1 or 1.2 Flywheel / Clutch
  • SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 or 9.1 Flywheel shield
  • SFI 3.2A/1 approved jacket
  • Roll bar
  • SFI approved seat belts
  • Drive Line Loop with street tires
  • Full Leathers on M/C, ATV and Snowmobile @ 120 MPH

10.99 seconds (6.99 1/8th) or Super Street 

  • SFI 4.1 Transmission Shield, or at 135 mph
  • Locking transmission dipstick tube
  • Aftermarket axles and axle retainers
  • SFI Harmonic Balancer
  • Roll Cage with altered floor pans, or 135 mph - Window net required
  • Ignition cut-off on all bikes / snowmobiles that exceed 135 mph

9.99 seconds (6.39 1/8th) or Super Gas or 135 mph 

  • NHRA Chassis Certification
  • NHRA Competition License
  • SFI jacket & pants 3.2A/5
  • SFI neck collar & gloves 3.3/1
  • SFI 29.1 flexplate / 30.1 flexplate shield (AT equipped cars)
  • Full Face Helmet meeting Snell or SFI specifications

150 mph 

  • Parachute

I bring my children to the track. Where are they able to go with me?

A minor release form is available at Tech Inspection for children from ages 14-17 years. This release will allow them to be in a restricted access area. The restricted access area is defined to start at the back of the tower and extend through the track and return road to the ET Slip Booth. He or she is only permitted in this area while supporting a car making a run at that time. Upon completion of the run being supported they must depart the restricted access area. Anyone under the age of 14 or children without a Minor Release on file must remain seated INSIDE of a tow vehicle or not enter the restricted areas. No one under 16 years of age is allowed to operate any vehicles (including but not limited to tow vehicles, motorcycles or 4-wheelers) anywhere or ride in/on a vehicle making a run. 

Additional Tech Questions

For additional tech questions, please call our office at 303-697-6001 and ask for Kevin or to speak with someone about a tech question, or email them to

General Racer FAQ